Thursday, May 17, 2012

Guest Blog: In Light of This Week's Events

A viewer contributed the following story and photo in light of this last weeks events:

 Back in 2007 I had a Flickr account and enjoyed posting the occasional breastfeeding picture of my daughter with the other photographs I was taking at the time. My daughter had turned 2 in September and was still nursing. It was something I was proud of. The pictures I posted were what I would consider very discrete. You almost never saw my actual breast in the photo.

So it came as a shock when I started receiving many perverted and sexual comments about these pictures. Rather than seeing it as a bond between a mother and a child, these men were sexualizing the act. It really pissed me off to the point where my mama bear came out and produced the following picture in response, aimed at those who would sexualize such a normal and loving act.

 Although I receive support for many women, many didn't like it. And I understand, it is a divisive image. However the mama bear in me enjoyed making it and letting them know exactly what I thought of their comments.

 After all the crazy/icky comments I have seen thrown around this week about the Time article, I was reminded of this picture I took and how I wish people would back off and leave nursing moms alone.

7 comments:

  1. I personally would have loved to see this on the cover of time magazine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would have made a brilliant cover photo, I agree!

      Delete
  2. I think that photo is badass awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took one of myself nursing one of my kids, wearing nothing but Mardi Gras beads & mask. If it's OK to flash tits in return for PLASTIC BEADS in public, it's OK to expose them to feed your child, dammit!

    ReplyDelete