Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Attached at the Hip

Okay, I've pretty well avoided the whole Time magazine slant on Attachment Parenting as well as the explosion of attacks on this "extreme" parenting fad. After a very busy weekend putting on a fundraiser for our friends I was feeling tired, zombie mom, and bored this morning. My oldest was off at school and my youngest has some type of bug going on, so she just wants to sleep and cuddle on me. I was surfing the net and saw that Dr. Bill Sears was going to be on The View. Train wreck? Probably... might as well watch it.

The lead ins for the segment just made shudder.

"Plus, the pediatrician behind the bombshell 'Time' cover story is giving a crash course in attachment parenting that claims every mom needs to coddle their kids all day, sleep with them at night, and give mommy-daddy time a major time out." 
"The Pediatrician behind the controversial 'Time" cover story is telling you why all moms should cosleep, breastfeed, and never leave their child's side. And that he thinks working moms need to get back home"

I've seen comments like this from other news reports coming in too.... and I can't believe Dr. Sears or anyone else hasn't corrected this huge glaring misconception of what being an attachment parent means. What the media and those who do not practice attachment parenting seem to be getting caught on is the word "ATTACHMENT." Well, news flash for ya folks.... attachment parents do actually set their children down. GASP! The horror!!!

You can be an single working parent and still be an attachment parent. It's all about how you behave when you are WITH your child. Doesn't matter if its only three waking hours of the day. You also don't need to practice all of the ways of AP. Personally my oldest child didn't like co-sleeping. I tried to force the issue for about four months because I wanted to co-sleep with him... but once I finally caved and gave him his own space things were much smoother. We turned into room-sharing parents.

Ideally all parents of a child should be home raising the child in their own style. Not just mom. Generally it's not financially possible for both parents to stay home, so one or both of them work. But that doesn't make them any less of a parent, because when they are home with their children they use any and all the principles of attachment parenting that work with their family.

Attachment parenting isn't extreme.... it's not coddling your child... it's not spoiling your child. It's just doing what feels natural. Honestly... it's the lazy way for me. I'm too lazy to lug around a 50 pound carseat and child, so I just toss my little peanut into a sling and I'm on my way. I'm also too lazy to prepare formula bottles, so I breastfed. I'm too lazy to schlep across the house in the middle of the night to a hungry baby, so we room share. 

4 comments:

  1. Haha! I have a blog post about just that! My "crunchy"/natural parenting ways are founded in laziness! Breastfeeding, baby-wearing, and co-sleeping alike! It just so happens that those practices have long term benefits to your kids' well-being. The cherry on the top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I have a blog post about just that! My "crunchy"/natural parenting ways are founded in laziness! Breastfeeding, baby-wearing, and co-sleeping alike! It just so happens that those practices have long term benefits to your kids' well-being. The cherry on the top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Attachment Parenting International has been getting a lot of hits (so much that their server crashed!) and doing a lot of interviews. They're definitely setting the record straight, though they (and I) think the TIME Magazine "thing" is doing more good than harm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree.... mostly because they couldn't have gotten it more wrong! And it's like all the media folks aren't even reading the article or doing any research... they're just focusing on the words Attachment Parenting and making their own conclusions. SO ANNOYING!

      Delete