Sunday, February 5, 2012

Three and a Half

I've been breastfeeding Chicken Little for three and a half years. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine nursing a child passed a year... but here we are... still going strong.  He's the oldest of all the nurslings in my little circle by a few weeks.

I remember sitting on New Years Eve chatting online with folks and wondering if this would be our last year nursing. He is well within the window of natural age self weaning.  It'll be completely up to him on when that window will come to a close. Right now he nurses about 3-4 times a day, mostly just ones that are in our daily routine.

Unlike baby sister Chicklett, Chicken Little has always been the kid that could stay on the nipple for hours. When he was a baby I would watch movie after movie during the day while he lazily slept and boobed during the day. I've almost always had to physically unlatch him with my hands to get him to stop. Now at three years old it's a little inside joke we have. At his pre-naptime boob I usually start to get a little antsy about ten minutes in. He can sense it... and usually smooshes his face into my boob so that I can't get my fingers in there to unlatch him. Fortunately for me, his laughing and antics usually free up space for me to sneak in.

There has been a joke in this house that our daughter would wean before her big brother. She is not quite the boob monster that he has always been. Don't get me wrong, she loves booby milk... but she's always been a "drink and dash" kid. Been a totally different relationship than what I have with the boy. They are 25 months apart, and it could be possible that Chicklett self weans at two years old and Chicken Little is still nursing strong at four. I don't know if that's ever happened to anyone before, but I suppose anything is possible.

At this point we've never gone more than 24 hours without a boob and he is obviously very interested in nursing. From conversations with previous full term nursing mothers it seems like the self weaning process is a slow one. I really don't anticipate this being the year of his weaning, but there is a little birdy in the back of my head saying that if it is his time I will be ready to follow his lead.

1 comment:

  1. This is us exactly! Except I have two boys. 3.5 years old and 20 months old. We had time restrictions starting with my pregnancy with my youngest, and they've stuck. Our latest step towards self weaning is my oldest no longer falls asleep nursing at night. I never imagined I'd be doing this either, but I wouldn't have it any other way! Keep up the good work mama!

    ReplyDelete