Saturday, December 31, 2011

I'll Show You Classy

So, the blog Combat Boots and Pointe Shoes decided to sarcastically call the mothers from the Target Nurse-in "classy." She also stated, "Personally I wondered if it was a bunch of women who don't shave their legs or armpits. You know the Granola girls...." Because, as we all know... only hippies breastfeed their children. ::face palm:: She goes on and on just digging the hole deeper on telling the Target Nurse-in folks that they were basically an embarrassment and shouldn't harass poor innocent baby Target. 


It's attacks like this from fellow breastfeeding mothers that I just don't get. They tell the other mothers to not stand up for their rights and just quietly take the tongue lashings from NIP harassing jerks. Seriously? If this were any other human or civil rights issue would you be telling the victims to just be quiet and go away? I highly doubt it. Why is it so easy for folks to pick on breastfeeding? 


And folks that are okay with breastfeeding "so long as the mother is covered." Seriously? Have you seen a mother nurse without a cover in person? You can't see anything! I think people have this vision of a mother going completely topless. It's so frustrating. Also, have you seen a mother trying to nurse while using a cover with a child that does not want to be covered? 



We all need to stop splitting hairs about how a mother should breastfeeding in public. You do it your way, and I'll do it mine. But we're all in the same group and are protected by the same laws. Mothers who get harassed are not showing as much skin as you probably assume. Some of them are under covers when they are harassed. Stop fighting each other and let's work together to change societies views.

And mothers who have not started nursing in public yet - being harassed is a rare thing. Don't let the thought of being harassed stop you from feeding your child in public. If the worst happens and someone does approach you in a negative way, the best thing that will happens is you will make a whole lotta new breastfeeding friends. Check out our NIP Harassment Survival Guide that has some great tips for IF it happens to you. I've been breastfeeding in public for three years and have never been approached negatively. 

14 comments:

  1. I've been breastfeeding in public for 7+ years all totaled and discounting rude family members, I have only been approached once *ONE* time by a stranger, and that was to tell me *Right on! We need more mothers nursing their babies!*. I was pleasantly surprised! I have gotten a surprised glance or two by people who did not even know I was breastfeeding, who walked up to see my baby's face only to realize that they had gotten a little bit too close to lunch time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to eat my lunch under the covers today. It was hot and stuffy, and I didn't like it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally think you took her post out of context. I don't think she was trying to say she was anti-NIP. I think she was just trying to say she didn't agree with the nurse-in. People are being incredibly rude and overly mean to her on that post. I only hope that this cruelty towards on another can end. It isn't right to say some of the things people are saying in comments to her. So what if she had to pump. Does that make her less of a mother? NO WAY! Name calling just goes too far and I am really ashamed to even be associated with individuals who would treat others that way. Shame on everyone who is posting such hateful remarks. We are treating another with disrespect and hate and it isn't right. Isn't that the very thing we are trying to combat?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's hard for people to understand how hard it is to cover up while in public. When people say" seriously you have to do that here? You can't stop and find a more private place?" I have 3 kids and if I stopped everything I was doing to have a private binding moment with my baby nothing would eer get done lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some people are being a little bit mean, but others are making excellent points. And, I'm sorry, you can't say you are pro-breastfeeding but say that you don't support mothers uniting to defend their rights. That kind of ambiguity was speared by MLK in his essay "Why We Can't Wait." I think this is an urgent situation that does speak to the very fabric of our country. When corporations are "people" and have billions of dollars both for advertising and to lobby and even alter campaigns, we, as women, must stand up to their patriarchal influence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing my blog in such a kind way! While I may not have worded it in a great way..(I am still a learning blogger)....I did not deserve the attack I received from it. I am a mother. I fought for 11 years to become a mother. I support breasfeeding, but I do not prefer to do so in public. I do not like the type of confrontation that a Nurse In creates. I don't feel it really works. And that is my opinion that I get to have (attack free) because My husband fights for our freedom to be able to do so. How else does a person learn and grow if not by talking and educating each other? That is all I wanted from my blog. TO HAVE A DISCUSSION.....I asked people to be kind when posting, and apparently no one could wrangle in their anger and do so. I did not call nursing mothers Granola girls. If you know me at all....you know that is my silly sense of humor towards 60's and protesters, and bra burning girls. It also says WONDERED when I started reading the article...NOT that they are. Next time before you attack someone....why not get to know them, or see why they are talking from that point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know that you are blowing this whole thing way out of proportion and being a little rude to someone that is just sharing their own thoughts. Did you ever think the she may have been talking about covering up to protect yourselves from the perverts out there that may want to catch a peek. So I would suggest that you think about all what you say before you throw verbal stones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really disappointed in the response to her post. You've vilified another mother who not only pumps for her child but also provides breastmilk for someone else's. A lot of women who NIP don't agree with the spectacle of a nurse in and that's all she was conveying. Shame on all those who attacked her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How did I attack her? I quoted a few things at the beginning, but the rest of the post is just my thoughts about how women shouldn't split hairs about how each other try to nurse in public. I didn't respond to her blog at all, nor do I necessarily agree with the harsher comments folks were leaving there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, and now I see why there is a sudden influx of posts from another blog. NO WHERE have I asked folks to attack her or post comments. Her blog was alllllllll over the Target Nurse-in circuit and if you check the time stamps on folks posts and when I posted my blog I'll bet the majority of them came BEFORE I blogged.

    ReplyDelete
  11. done reading this blog. BLAH BLAH BLAH. Goodriddins.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your unprofessional responses? How is THAT for an answer?! What is so LOL worthy about my post? Good luck running a "successful" blog if that is the way you respond to comments. Good or bad the wording is very rude. And THAT I find is LOL worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, when you just come out of left field and "blah blah blah" me... what kind of respect do you think you deserve? We have thousands of happy fans who get it... ::shrug::

    ReplyDelete