Thursday, November 3, 2011

Communicating!

This doesn't have a whole lot to do with breastfeeding but I wanted to blog about it anyways. Very recently, like in the last week or 2, I decided I was going to start teaching some sign language to Olivia and Ella. I really don't know too much sign language...I know the alphabet and a few words, but I figured we could learn together. Olivia (who just turned 3) picks it up immediately. The first time I show her a sign, she gets it down and remembers it. Ella (who just turned 1) can do "more", but has only done it once or twice.

The big thing that Ella has started doing is nodding her head "yes". It's so freaking cool. I talk to her all the time and ask her questions. So, for instance, I'll say "Ella, do you want more (sign "more") yogurt bites?" and I'll wait to see if she signs it back to me...then I'll nod my head and say "Yes?" and I'll do this several times. Well, she picked up that nodding her head is an affirmation...and now she does it!! It's this basic thing but we can communicate with each other through more then cries and it just...I don't even know. I don't have words for how totally COOL it is!! I'll ask her if she wants a drink (sign "drink") and she'll nod her head yes. I guess the thing that's just so cool for me is that she understands what I'm saying. And of course I know that she understands...but I can see her understanding it. I don't know if this is a silly thing to be excited about...but being home with Ella has just made such a difference in the things that I notice. With Olivia, I worked full time and didn't get home until 6 pm...and her bedtime was 7-7:30. I had very little time to notice the "small" things with her. Now, I'm not knocking on moms who work out of the home. Please don't take it that way. I'm just saying that being at home has made a huge difference in what I'm able to see and enjoy with Ella.

It's also different because of how sick Ella was. She was so tiny, so sick and so frail...and here she is, this big, fat, juicy one year old....and she's communicating with me!! She's like this tiny little person as opposed to this frail little preemie hooked up to machines. Just too cool. I'm super excited to do more signing with them and to be able to communicate more and more with Ella.

Do you sign with your kids? What resources have you used?

1 comment:

  1. Love this post. I also have a juicy (nearly) one year told preemie. We've been signing to her for months and she understands more, milk, and food. She only signs "milk" back and I get so excited every time. She knows it means she'll get boob immediately and takes full advantage! I think I cried the first time she did it, so I totally get the excitement. While she was in the nicu, moments like this seemed so very far away, if not impossible.

    ReplyDelete