Saturday, August 27, 2011

That sleep thing....Beginner's Luck

OK, so we tried it casually thursday night. Chase had been napping in his crib for two days to get him comfortable, so we put him in his crib Thursday night for bedtime. It looked a little like this (approximately)

7:45 - Bedtime, Chase goes down easily after milkies. :)

8:30 - B gets me in from mowing the lawn, and has Chase on his hip, Aiden is having some kind of crisis and he needs me to get chase back to sleep.

10:05 - Chase is asleep again, in his crib.

10:30 - Chase wakes, B puts him back down

11:00 - Chase wakes, B puts him back down

11:45 - Chase wakes...B has no patience, raises his voice, upsets the baby who now wants nothing to do with his crib. (DUR!)

12:10 - Chase is asleep again, but in my bed. He woke several times during the night and was up for the day at 7am.

So, I kind of figured based on the way Thursday night went that we were IN FOR IT over the next week.

All day friday he took his naps in the crib, in fact, he took GOOD naps in the crib! Although, he took 1 too many which meant bedtime got pushed back a little later than we like, but good napping is the key to good night time sleep, so we are following the flow on that right now. We need him happy. Friday night went like this:

9:00pm - Bedtime for Chase, he goes down easily after his milkies. This is B's shift until midnight so I passed off the monitor to him and lay down to catch some Z's in preparation for a rough night ahead. Chase did not wake on B's watch. Yea, you read that right, he slept 3 hours straight without waking at all.

12:10am - It's my shift now, Chase wakes up, nurses, and goes back into his crib. I'm prepared for the worst, but quietly climb into bed and go to sleep...

3:15am - WHAT?! chase wakes up, nurses, and goes back into his crib! WHAT?! This has NEVER happened. NEVER. HAPPENED. I do NOT remember a time that Chase has EVER slept 3 straight hours.

Then I TRY to get into bed...but the bed creaks...loudly, and wakes Chase up. I pick him up, snuggle him, and put him back...and he stays asleep until...

5:30am - my sleepy brain just brought him to bed. He nursed and we slept until 7am when he woke up for the day.

I'm actually really shocked by how the first real night started. I'm going to stick with not nursing more often than every 3 hours at night and leave it that way until he's secure in the crib...then I'll see if I can get him to go every 4 hours once that's settled.

I really think that this was beginner's luck and am expecting a rough night tonight. But who knows, maybe I will be pleasantly surprised! Today he has napped in his crib, but only cat naps so far, not more than 45 minutes each.

stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. I feel you. James used to wake with every creak, snore, and fart. We moved him, albeit hesitantly, to his room at 5.5 months and we all slept so much better. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am angry, jealous, and ecstatic for you, all rolled into one very frustrated ball. I made the mistake of setting my stopwatch just to see how long it took to get T down for bed. 1:29:03. You read that correctly. An hour and a half!!! And the thing that aggravates me most is that this is pretty normal. Tomorrow we start a new plan. I am NOT looking forward to it.

    I hope things continue to go smoothly! Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for these posts. I have a 10 month old who also wakes very often (every 45 minutes or so- never a 2 hr stretch). I am going to try this same plan that you are doing. Let me know how it is going!

    ReplyDelete