Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Off Topic Tuesday: Play by Play on Facebook

Do you have those friends (or 'friends' as they case may be sometimes) that constantly update Facebook with a play by play of their entire day? Every mundane detail about what they are doing, did do, and what the plan on doing?

I can't speak for everyone... but for myself as a stay-at-home-mom I am using Facebook as a social outlet. My only physical co-workers wear diapers and the conversations are hardly stimulating. So yeah, I update Facebook a handful of times a day. But let me ask you working folks a question... do you ever have/over hear conversations at work like "What did you do last weekend?" "What are your lunch plans?" "Did you see that movie?" "Did you see that outfit Cindy is wearing today?" Well, guess what... my co-workers are mostly virtual and our frequent updates are the same darn thing y'all are talking about at work. Sure, it appears to be an answer to a question that wasn't asked... but it is just the new way of doing things. Facebook IS a SOCIAL NETWORKING SITE. So... it's a chance to be social.

A few months ago I found out that someone I was once close with had my wall blocked, and her reason was that my posts were annoying. Ouch. I'd say I used to post 3-4 times a day and maybe 1 or 2 links shared. Since that incident I'm lucky if I update three times a week. Every time I go to say something I end up stopping and figuring no one cares to know what I'm doing. It's left me more lonely and isolated, but I just can't seem to get over it.

So, next time you find yourself annoyed by someone's "ordinary useless" status update... maybe realize instead that this person is just lonely... and instead of ignoring them and further isolating them, throw them a bone. Comment with a "that meal sounds yummy" "what a wonderful and dedicated mommy you are" or "I miss you, when can we play?"

3 comments:

  1. Very well said. I am a status updater...admittedly more than I probably should. But I am a stay at home baby baker(bed rest pregnancy)...so there's not much else I can do except be online and watch TV.

    I found that Twitter is a better outlet for day by day life, and I have friends who agree with me who also use twitter as an outlet instead of facebook...so I don't feel isolated from my friends, but also don't alienate those that do not understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm relying on my facebook to go back and find important events when I finally sit down to do the baby book. So yes, I post every seemingly mundane thing about my kid and maybe people don't care that DD ate peas today and LOVED them, but OH WELL :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda I write that stuff too....**I** care about it and many of the people on my FB do and if someone doesn't they can delete me because obviously they aren't a very good friend anyways :p

    ReplyDelete