The Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) WIC Program is holding a breastfeeding photography contest Three categories of winners with 1st, 2nd, 3rd place in each category will be selected. Winners will receive a framed photo of their entry and a few additional surprises. The WIC Agency will also receive a copy of the winning entries that are affiliated with their WIC agency.
A picture is worth a thousand words. We are seeking photos to help convey the messages about the importance and normalcy of breastfeeding. We hope to create a photo gallery that could be used for WIC outreach, training materials and in many other ways.
What they’re looking for….
The theme for the photos is Breastfeeding: Anytime, Anywhere. A hungry baby needs to eat, anytime, anywhere. More visuals are needed to show that breastfeeding (anytime, anywhere) is the norm. We’re looking for images that involve multiple people, generations, ethnicities, places, etc. We encourage creativity and fun in your photos. Here are some ideas:
In what positions do babies feed best? (e.g. laid-back, football, cross-cradle, etc.)
Where do babies breastfeed? (e.g. breastfeeding in restaurants, by MN landmarks, parks, stores, etc.)
What do breastfed babies and toddlers do for fun? (e.g. babies and toddlers enjoying life)
What are the important roles dads, grandmas, family and others have in the life of the baby and supporting breastfeeding? (What are dad’s important roles in the life of his breastfed baby? Giving baby a bath? Telling a story? What are Grandma’s or others important roles?) Include captions or comments with the photo.
How are employers supportive of breastfeeding?
How do you hold baby skin-to-skin in your family?
Rules & Regulations
1. This contest is open to all WIC participants, WIC staff and their friends and family except for the manufacturers or retail distributors of breastmilk substitutes, related equipment such as feeding bottles and teats, commercial foods for breastfeeding mothers, and commercial complementary foods, including employees and associates of such companies.
2. Participating in the photo contest will not impact eligibility for WIC benefits or WIC services.
3. Any costs incurred related to the photo shall be borne by the person submitting the photo.
4. Contest participants may submit up to 5 entries in each category in digital format. You will not receive acknowledgement of receipt.
1. All submissions are non-returnable and shall remain the sole property of MDH MN WIC; MN WIC reserves all rights to reproduce, publicize or to exhibit the submissions in any form of media or medium whether locally or internationally without any prior notification or payment made to participants. Images submitted must not be published in any media or medium prior to entry in this contest.
2. All entries must be of participants’ original works. Usage of third party/parties creative works is prohibited.
3. Entries will be judged on the following criteria: subject matter, composition, creativity and technique.
4. First, second and third place in each of the categories will be awarded. Judges’ decision is final.
5. Minor photo touch-up is allowed i.e. adjustment of brightness of color, softening or sharpening of the image.
6. The following techniques will not be accepted: digital super imposition, composite photographs, photo montage, trick photographs, digital imaging and image manipulations.
7. All entries must be submitted by August 31, 2011 to: https://apps.health.state.mn.us/mdh_upload/
Use Health.WICPhotos@state.mn.us as the email address to submit entry form and photo.
12. Winners shall be notified via email and by November 1, 2011.
Visit their website for more information!