Tuesday, April 26, 2011

PSA: Facebook Walls Are Not People - Off Topic Tuesday

A few incidents have happened in my life where real life friends have shown some mean true colors against me based on Facebook. I know that the internet has a certain anonymity that allows for this kind of stuff to happen with faceless nameless strangers... but when it is real friends it cuts pretty deep. One would think they knew you better than that, but apparently not.

In just looking at my Facebook wall I bet a lot of people have a very different picture about who I am. They probably think if they get an epidural or use formula they can't be friends with me. Yeah... right... because I'm THAT petty. All I want based on information I share is for folks to know their options because the epidural and formula world has become so normal that anything different almost needs to fight for attention.

People might think I'm a stubborn opinionated bitch, but it's my wall and I'll put my thoughts up there regardless of what anyone thinks. Sometimes I treat it almost like a journal. Most of the links I post are simply to spread knowledge for those that want it. All I'm doing is clicking 'share' from other peoples walls. I'm not spending hours blogging and scouring the internet for every little detail. It's not my life. Feel free to gloss over it and ignore it much like I do when people talk about sporting events, working on cars, or finding a new job.

Now, if we actually hang out in person... guess what... I don't talk about any of that stuff unless you bring it up! I do actually have other things to talk about in this world. I'm probably the most non-confrontational wuss debate avoider in the world. Do not fear hanging out with me... I promise I don't bite.

Now, I'm not going to change my ways - so I beg you... if you are on my friend list just festering with hate against me based on links I post or statuses I write... do us both a favor and either talk to me about it or click that unfriend button rather than let your anger build until you lash out against me. I'm not the one lurking in the dark, I don't know how you feel about the issues if you never tell me, and I don't mean to hurt/offend anyone.

If Facebook had existed 10 years ago my statuses would have been filled with information about drink specials, who slept with who, how much work sucked, rights of other beings on this earth, late nights, needing caffeine to function, and other such non-sense. Guess what? Nothing has changed. Just now the beverage special I'm talking about is breastfeeding, who slept with who is co-sleeping, etc. That's just it - those are all things I do no matter what decade or place I am in life... but they are not WHO I am.

14 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS!! This does not just apply to nursing and birthing but to so many other topics on facebook. Thank you for posting this =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post! Thanks for sharing it on the Life With Levi wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A-friggin-MEN!!! Shared!! Thank you so much!! :) **HUGS**

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! JUST dealt with this myself -and wrote something very similar to this to some friends via message. Sad that it has to be said.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mother Hen, it's so funny that you wrote this blog post because I was cleaning this morning and thinking about how I was planning on writng a similar post on my Mainstream to Crunchy blog. I read this and it was pretty darn similar to what I had to say...I even quoted you in my article!!! haha

    <3 this! and <3 you!

    Christa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I KNOW!! I have wondered before if my friends' computers have the same 'scroll' button mine does, or that handy little 'x' when if pushed says, "hide posts from this person." It's that simple ppl. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm right there with you! Loved your post :) I think sometimes people that don't like reading what we post end up purposefully torturing themselves by not clicking that little "don't show these posts anymore" X that Jacquelyn mentioned. . . . it's like . . . if you don't like it, don't read it! But it's important that you and all of us continue to share good information. It's a changing world, but the trickle of change will stop quickly if we don't talk about what we believe in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get a little scared to be around my pregnant friends anymore, because I know people probably know my beliefs on things like circumcision and heavily-medicated births, and I don't know if they are going to assume that I'm judging them if they do something I wouldn't choose for myself. For the most part I only post "controversial" stuff on my blog's fan page and only post personal stuff on my profile. I don't know if it was the right thing to do, but I feel more comfortable being around my real world friends knowing I haven't posted anything heated and rage-tastic that they've seen on Facebook. I'm not at all eloquent in real life, so I'd prefer not to let those issues come up in a real life conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel like I post very little about any heated topics - maybe one or two a month that really stand out for me... so so people know what I think - and also in the hope that someone who doesn't have a stance on the topic yet will think about joining my club. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just found your blog through this post - particularly loved the last paragraph. :) You've stated this very well.

    I think it's something I need to remind myself of sometimes too - I have friends and family members who post statuses that I sometimes feel are so ignorant or ridiculous (particularly in light of the recent well publicized death of a terrorist), and I need to remember the fullness of who they are and not just my knee jerk reaction to their posts.

    Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete