Sunday, April 24, 2011

Dairy free for ME!

As I mentioned in The Crankiest Baby on the Block and The Crankiest Baby on Block-Not Mine Ella is a cranky pants and we seemed to have found the magic combination of things to help with her crankiness. She has silent reflux and is on reflux meds and I cut all dairy out of my diet. When I first considered the dairy free thing, I was horrified at the very idea. I. Love. Dairy. Let me say that again.

I. LOVE. DAIRY!

LOVE.

I love sour cream. I love cheese. I love milk. I love ice cream. I love yogurt. I love butter. I. LOVE. BUTTER.

The doctor recommended a lactose free formula. Uh huh. I don't love dairy THAT much.

But it was still a huge sacrifice. A sacrifice that I was more then willing to make though. I figured that not only was this what you just DO for your baby but it was also an opportunity to eat a bit healthier. No more tacos that are essentially some meat with gobs of sour cream and cheese. No more "couple bites" of a pint of Ben and Jerry's that turns out to be half the pint. No more sleeve of oreos with a huge glass of milk.

I went cold turkey. Just stopped eating it one day. It was okay. Not bad. I missed the cheese on my eggs though. I had a few friends who had done dairy free for various reasons and one went shopping with me and made some recommendations. She introduced me to almond milk, rice milk, recipes etc. I also discovered coconut milk and coconut ice cream. Can I just say that coconut milk is probably the best thing ever? I absolutely love coconut milk. It's like a party in my mouth. Oh, and french toast made with vanilla almond milk? Yes please.

Our diet, which always included most healthy things, often included a lot of cheese. Cheese on everything. Lasagna. Tacos (with cheese and sour cream). Casseroles--with cheese. Eggs...with cheese. You get my point. I've lost most of the meals in my rotation and had to come up with new meal ideas. And we've started eating healthier!! My two year old has discovered hummus with carrots and we eat that at least 4x a week. Lots of veggies are now used and I don't eat nearly as much pasta (we've always eaten whole wheat pasta at least!). I'm still learning and definitely need to find more recipes and meal ideas but it's gotten easier. And honestly? Dairy is not good I discovered. I took a swig of milk about a week ago because I had a craving all of a sudden and I had a sour tummy for the rest of the night and it tasted like icky poo-poo. NOT good. Had a slice of cheese? Ummm...how do I put this delicately? Well, my husband used our second bathroom.

It's a lot of work but it's so worth it, and it's healthier too! The worst thing I've discovered is that Trader Joes has some pretty UH-MAZING dark chocolate peanut butter cups that are dairy free...which I no longer buy because I'll eat like 8 in one day and they are 100 calories each. Bad news bears!

1 comment:

  1. You are such a strong and awesome momma!!! :) I love that you said how much you LOVE Dairy... until formula was brought up! Kids are so good at showing us our priorities huh? <3 and hugs!! Good job Momma... Is Ella feeling better and less cranky now??

    ReplyDelete