Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Crankiest Baby on the Block


That, my friends, is the story. of. my. LIFE. Ella cries. All. The. TIME. Okay, not all the time, but far more often then the normal baby. I remember before Ella was born I would always say, I"ll let her comfort nurse, she'll be such a happy baby. {SNORT} Yes, she comfort nurses...but that doesn't stop the screaming. There have been times, mostly in my pre-zoloft days, when I couldn't stand to even TOUCH her let alone nurse her, so yes, this personality definitely affected our nursing relationship. I DID nurse her, of course, but it was extremely difficult. I looked at the different things it could be and consulted with my girlfriends. Reflux? But she doesn't spit up (it could still be reflux apparently, but not as likely). Colic? Seriously...what is colic? A crying baby? Okay, sure it's colic, now what the EFF do I do about it? Gas? Hunger? Too hot? Too cold? ......... You get my point.

I tried everything. EV-ER-Y-TH-ING. Pacifiers, bouncey chairs, swings, baths, bathing with her, wearing her in different types of carriers/slings, rocking, bouncing, shushing, swaddling, white noise...you get my drift. Nothing worked consistently. Sometimes I could nurse her into stopping screaming. Sometimes I could sing to her. Sometimes I could rock her. But for the most part, the screaming would go on and on for hours.

I have been distrustful of pediatricians because our last pediatrician was a complete and total idiot so I didn't bring it up to the pediatrician. I figured she'd tell me it was colic or that she needed formula. Wasn't about to happen. Today we went to the pediatrician and I broke down and told her what was going on. It had been like this every single day since Ella came home. Completely miserable. She asked the normal questions, the word "colic" did come up (of course) and she mentioned that a probiotic might help. Then she mentioned, hesitantly (she knows me) a lactose free formula that could be tried (then said she was hesitant because of how well Ella is thriving on breast milk...12 lbs 5 oz, thank you VERY much!) and I said, "well, couldn't I just cut all dairy out of my diet?" "Yes! You could do that." So with a heavy heart, I decided to cut dairy out of my diet...after I finished my $5 Caribou latte of course.

On the way home I was thinking about it and I figured at this point, I had 3 new things to try. Probiotics, dairy elimination or a chiropractor. I'd heard good things about chiropractors for babies and had been saying I was going to bring her but hadn't gotten around to it yet (I'm such a bad procrastinator). Well after much discussion with myself and on my favored facebook groups, I decided to try the chiropractor first and made an appointment for tomorrow. HOPEFULLY, that's the issue and I don't have to do an elimination diet but I WILL do it before formula will pass those sweet little rose bud lips.


While I love all the faces of Ella, this is my favorite and I'd like to see it way more often then the first picture (which, unfortunately, I see pretty constantly). I'd like to avoid cutting out dairy because, let's face it, I like butter. I like it A LOT. And sour cream. And ice cream. And milk chocolate. And cheese. Those are all staples in my diet (Yes I know that's why my pre pregnancy jeans don't fit). I will do it though if necessary because as much as I like butter, I like my boobie baby even more. 


10 comments:

  1. Bless your heart that has got to be so rough. {{hug}} I will be watching with great interest. I agree that I would also do elimination before I would give formula but wow I hope either the chiropractor or he pro-biotic works first. I loves me some cheese and all other delicious dairy goodness as well. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been there. I cut out all dairy. And I mean ALL. Even read packages. There is dairy in every processed food. But Aydan was bleeding internally. So u did. There was no way I was going to put those chemicals in his already messed up body. It worked. He was still whiney. But not as much. Now ge can drink milk no problem. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It may very well be dairy. The faster you try it the easier it will be on you. I know how you feel. I actually grew up on a dairy farm and my son turned out to have a dairy protein allergy. I cut dairy out when he was 2-3 months and it worked. It was like magic. And you get used to it. He is almost 2 and still hasn't grown out of it and we still don't have dairy in the house and I don't miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Christa, I feel your pain. I really do. Both my boys had the screamin' meemies for months. They were diagnosed with reflux. I found nursing to be the best method of soothing them, but I was sick.of.it. by the end of a marathon session. I did cut out dairy and soy from my d+iet but didn't see a huge change. If you do go the probiotics route, make sure to check the ingredients. The one brand that is highly recommended (it costs a lot, can be found on Amazon, is liquid form, but I can't remember the name) actually has milk protein in it. Not helpful for babies in Ella's situation. The Culturelle Kids brand has a powder that is dairy/gluten free.

    Good luck to you, mama, and know that this will someday pass!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel for you too! My son also doesn't tolerate cow's milk. He's 14 months old now and finally he and I can have *some* dairy but it has to be few and far between. He gets a nasty rash on his bum from the milk that goes away as soon as the milk is cut out. We also see a Chiropractor and have since he was born and yes, they are helpful, but make sure to see one who knows how to gently adjust a tiny baby. It's like a back massage. Check into goat's milk, also. It may taste different but it is much closer to mother's milk and may not affect your baby. Good luck to you and I feel for you. I have always said that my son is "sensitive and passionate" and perhaps your daughter is also. Don't forget that sensitive, passionate people make some of the most wonderful people! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry that you are going through this. Has anyone mentioned craniosacral therapy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craniosacral_therapy )? I have been told that it can do wonders for babies. If you end up having to cut milk from your diet the good news is that most kids out grow the intolerance. I have several friends that had to do it and their one years old now can drink milk.
    I wish you the best of luck and look forward to reading how this turns out for you and Ella.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had the same problem. My ped dismissed it as just colic. Finally when she was 4 months old I eliminated all dairy and soy, since about half the kids who react to milk protein (NOT lactose! There's tons of lactose in breastmilk and you'd know by now if that was it) react to soy proteins as well. I had to read labels and basically couldn't eat any processed food. It was not easy as I am a dairy junkie too, but boy did it help. My baby was much happier and as a result, so was I! I was able to reintroduce both dairy and soy by the time she was a year old, fortunately.

    If you do end up eliminating dairy & soy, check out godairyfree.org for some good recipes. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My son was getting blood in his stools from the cows milk protein in my breastmilk. He was also very fussy in the evenings. I stopped all dairy. It took about a month for the dairy to get out of my system once I stopped eating it and my son's symptoms were better after that. She will probably grow out of it, so stay off the dairy for a while. You'll get used to it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am with you on the loving all dairy products. I love cheese so much but my son is intolerant to dairy as it is (now 9 months). It is a worthy sacrifice but a difficult one. But think about how awesome it would be to eat ice cream after months of deprivation. Exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Christa, I am thinking of you in this trying time! Your babe is beautiful, and I do hope that you see more of that gorgeous smile and less of the screaming soon! Major mommy kudos for sticking with what's best for her, and for making the sacrifice if it does come to cutting out dairy or soy! Peaceful vibes!

    ReplyDelete