Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Make a stink

I could look over from pumping and see something very similar to this.
Gross!
Almost a year ago, I left my job at a heartless, thankless bank (I won't say the name of it) to become a stay at home mom. Because I nursed Miss Olivia for 16 months, I pumped pretty much the entire time after going back to work after 8 weeks. The nursing room was pretty gross. There was what used to be an executive bathroom with a "sitting area" and they had a corner of it with a cubicle and an uncomfortable chair in there with a table. It was...uh, gross. And I swear to God, I kid you not, there were no less then TWO women whose pooping schedule coincided with my pumping schedule. It was positively revolting.

Aside from my pooping buddies, there were all these women who would go into the pumping room and use it for their personal break space. I came in once and someone was SLEEPING in there. They'd talk on the phone, just read a book, whatever. And yes, there are break rooms at this place. Why they chose to go into a cubicle in the bathroom, I really couldn't tell you. Maybe they enjoyed the fragrances that were a part of my pumping sessions, who knows.

I always made a stink (no pun intended) about the area. I was on HR's butt about the women using it for their personal space. I would go there and know someone was in there but not know if someone was pumping in there so I'd wait,. Finally, I'd ask if they were pumping and of course, they usually weren't. LAME. HR and I were good friends during my 16 months of pumping at the bank, let me tell you.

Today, I called into the bank to let them know that my address had changed since last I worked there so I could get my W2 from last year (all 2 months of it). The person I spoke to in HR was the person I always went to about the pumping room and he informed me that they had a NEW pumping room. They had completely designed it with a pumping mom in mind. It had big comfy chairs, dimmed lighting, breastfeeding posters, a lovely paint job and lockers so that moms could keep their pumps down there! HOW EXCITING!! I was really excited to hear they had made a better space for pumping moms.

Then Mr. Bank HR man tells me something else. The reason they have all of this? The reason that they made a room specifically for pumping moms that locks and is comfortable? Because. Of. ME. Yes. Me. I was beyond elated. I was so happy that all my speaking up about nursing moms rights had made a difference.

We must not, in trying to think about how we can make a big difference, ignore the small daily differences we can make which, over time, add up to big differences that we often cannot foresee.
-Marian Wright Edelman-


8 comments:

  1. That's fantastic! I truly believe that it is crucially important to speak up and make your dissatisfactions known in nearly all situations. Good for you! Now, did you remember to ask them if your name is on a gold nameplate plaque on the door? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! They should put a poster of YOU breastfeeding in there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome!!:) My hubby always makes the comment when I need to nurse and ppl tell us the bathroom, "Would you take your lunch in the bathroom?" Really catches them off guard and I usually end up in the van!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is AWESOME!! not you need to get a picture of it, because I want to see what a "pumping room" looks like!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't work there anymore LOL. I left the company to be a stay at home mama

    ReplyDelete
  6. so! I think you should still be able to get pictures.. it was inspired by you! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Great story! Here is my story about getting a lactation room at work. And I do have pictures! http://lactationnarration.com/index.php/2010/09/happy-birthday-lactation-room/

    ReplyDelete