Saturday, January 22, 2011

Boobs for BooBoo's


One of my favorite reasons for nursing a toddler is for the inevitable injuries they sustain while just doing day to day tasks.

This week has been a record for Chicken Little... I'm not even sure I remember all the injuries. Pinching finger in the bi-fold closet door, pinching fingers in door hinge, pinching fingers in drawer, head on collision with cousin (resulting in under eye wound seen in photo above), wrestling with Rooster and getting a chin to the eye, and last but not least getting smacked in the mouth with baby sister Chicklett's leg braces.

But they all have one thing on common... the booby mind eraser works amazingly well at making everything okay in 5 minutes flat. It is an awesome tool to have at my disposal and I'm honestly not sure what I'd do without it! He comes running to me crying... and a few seconds later skips off a happy lad without a care in the world. He remembers being hurt - so the lesson that whatever he did which wasn't a good idea is still there, but the tears and upset are all gone. Hip Hip Hurray! I love being able to provide him boobs for his booboos!



10 comments:

  1. I totally agree! I BF my 7mo old during vaccinations at the doc and it TOTALLY helps out! He didn't even cry at his 6mo shots..I've done this for all my kids (even my now 16yr old twin girls) and it DOES erase the bad..good for you for keeping it going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally the BEST toddler tantrum disperser, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell me about it! I had an EPIC toddler tantrum this week and boob was the only thing that calmed him...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have often referred to it as the magic boob effect. : ) It seems to fix all and make the world right again in an instant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This reminds me of nursing in Mongolia. That article says the boob is used for every little peep a child makes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You mean the Nursing in the Land of Genghis Khan article? I LOVE that piece! :) http://www.drmomma.org/2009/07/breastfeeding-in-land-of-genghis-khan.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. A couple of months ago I started letting my 2 year old, who had been weaned since 13 1/2 months nurse again, primarily because when he was hurt or having a tantrum he wanted to (didn't understand why baby sis got to whenever SHE wanted to). It does creep my husband out a bit (great support for breastfeeding, not so good with extended breastfeeding) and we've kept it a 'secret' from my inlaws (NOT good bf support, my grandma in law is horrible and my mil is only slightly better), but it makes my toddler so happy when he gets his 'mama mulk', or, when he's really desperate for it' 'mama nummy'. I like how I get upgraded from milk to nummy when he's particularly wanting some. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's amazing that your 2yr old was able to relatch! Mama Christa would be very jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a BF'ing advocate, so please don't misunderstand my question. But I am curious if nursing is your go-to for comforting them over every bump and bruise, doesn't that set them up to have a hard time if you're not around?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's not for every bump and bruise... if they don't cry or need me... i don't do it. :) My son is now 4 and my daughter is 2..... haven't seen any backlash from this yet.

    ReplyDelete