Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I've been hiding while nursing...

...I've been hiding... from my toddler! Since switching to nursing Chicken Little on demand he seems to think that he needs to nurse as often as the baby does (which is all the time...). For a while I was telling him that it was Chicklett's turn and that he could have a turn later, but now he's started to push her off of me and say that she is "all done." Couple this new attitude along with the fact that our normally sleeping 12-hours straight at night toddler has started waking more often than the baby and you've got one tired mama! So... I started trying to cover up and hide while nursing Chicklett. Break out the Udder Cover! Ha!

I'm not sure why I don't want him to nurse all the time - but something instinctual is telling me to limit him, and you should listen to your instinct. Other tandem mothers I know limit their nursing toddlers by only letting them nurse for a minute or two, but CL seems to be even more upset then because Chicklett will nurse for longer. We seem to be better off with him getting none at all until I'm in a position to let him have a full session.

On a side note - we believe his new sleeping issues is because of a sinus infection. We've never had one before, but upon complaining to girlfriends about his smelly breath a light has gone off in ye ol' brain.


7 comments:

  1. How old is Chicklett? It took a while for the jealousy to kick in here, probably about two months when it really sunk in that the baby was here to stay. And now that the baby can crawl and steal toys it's reared it's ugly head again. Hang in there and he'll get over it.*

    *Disclaimer: I quit nursing my older son about 8 months before the baby was born so I guess I don't know about tandem nursing, just rivalry in general. We emphasize "big boys" vs "babies" a lot too, but "Big boys drink from a cup!" doesn't exactly hold true for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're dealing with some major jealousy Mother Hen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chicklett is 9 weeks old. I had been nursing CL just in the morning and before nap time, but then he started to have some anxiety issues and gagging a lot. Now we are nursing on demand and his demand is just more than I want to give right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Mother Hen, it's jealousy...I think your limiting instinct is actually right on target. That way when he gets HIS nursing time, it's special time for the two of you and not just a "I want her out of my way so I can get some boob instead of her" kind of thing. Then you're also OFFERING that solo time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should have seen me Thursday when I had the flu... no strength to fend him off. It was an all day buffet. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so hard, because it's easier sometimes to just nurse both kids all the times because it calms everybody down (except maybe you) and prevents tantrums. I found that distraction was my biggest ally when dealing with trying to limit Baby T a little more. And, yes, the hiding. I got very good at nursing in the wrap!

    ReplyDelete