Wednesday, December 1, 2010

"It's All In The Latch..."

Don't we hear this all the time?

I have sore nipples..."it must be the latch!"

I'm having supply issues..."it must be the latch!"

It hurts when I nurse the baby..."it must be the latch!"

We're at war in the Middle East..."IT MUST BE THE LATCH!"

So we're told that one key to successful breastfeeding is to have the elusive "good latch." Some of us are shown what this looks like through pictures, diagrams, or, if we're lucky, a lactation consultant or other lactation professional shows us what that "good latch" looks like with OUR baby and OUR breast. We are told the latch must be DEEP and ASYMMETRICAL (meaning the babies mouth covers more of the BOTTOM of the areola than the top).

Listen gals, I'm breastfeeding my second baby. I'm a doula. I've had over 16 hours of training in breastfeeding support. I have never had a "good latch." I always suspected this, but I wasn't having problems, wasn't in pain, my nipples were never cracked, raw, or bleeding, so I figured it's a "good enough" latch. Because I have big fluffy breasts and nipples that don't stand out much (they aren't clinically flat...anymore...lol) I have always struggled to get that awesome DEEP and ASYMMETRICAL latch. Like I said...it was good enough...though I will admit to noticing some pinkness to my nipples. I always wondered how I could EVER get that awesome latch without Mother Hen's awesome nipples...(we'll do our nipple post in the near future, complete with our own nipple silhouettes).


I found it. I can't believe what I've been missing. I have to share with my TGL readers RIGHT THIS MINUTE because I have NEVER had such a comfortable latch. I've never SEEN such a beautiful latch! It was pretty easy too! So here's a link to the description and a VIDEO, thank heavens I don't think I could have done it without the video!

Nipple Twist Latch Trick

Do YOU have a special trick for getting that awesome latch? Please share!

4 comments:

  1. AHHH!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!! i'm going to practice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ella has the most beautiful latch I've ever seen in my life. That baby girl latched right on, big huge mouth, double chin, bottom lip in the right curve...ahhh love that baby. Breastfeeding her is like no effort at all (in the world of preemie breastfeeding...lol).

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!! This is genius! I had really flat nipples too & ended up with pain for 6 months as the wee one slowly stretched and broke that internal tissue connection. Thanks so much for sharing! Here's hoping #2 is as strong a suckling as #1 - if not, though, I've got a nifty new technique in my toolbox. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!! This is genius! I had really flat nipples too & ended up with pain for 6 months as the wee one slowly stretched and broke that internal tissue connection. Thanks so much for sharing! Here's hoping #2 is as strong a suckling as #1 - if not, though, I've got a nifty new technique in my toolbox. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete